A refreshing cranberry juice smoothie with a sweet-tart punch! This tangy fruit smoothie is perfect for an afternoon pick-me-up.
Why You’ll Love it:
I’m all about some zip! I love a tangy drink and this cranberry juice smoothie hit the spot. It’s the perfect balance of sweet strawberries and tart cranberries.
It’s easy to customize to fit your sweet-tart threshold. If you prefer more pucker, use less honey. If you prefer a sweeter smoothie, add more.
This smoothie with cranberry juice is packed with feel-good vitamins and disease-fighting antioxidants. I enjoy it as a mid-morning snack to hold me over until lunch.
Banana – Cranberries are very tart, and bananas add sweetness! Be sure to use a ripe banana for the best results. When a banana ripens, it’s starch converts to sugar!
Frozen strawberries – Sweet strawberries pair well with tart cranberries. Be sure to use frozen strawberries to thicken this smoothie without the need for ice.
Frozen cranberries – You can find frozen cranberries in the frozen fruit aisle at a well-stocked grocery store. Cranberries are a rich source of Vitamin C and other antioxidants!
Cranberry juice – Adds a punch of cranberry flavor!
Honey – Cranberries are very tart. Typically, I don’t like to add sweeteners to my smoothies, but this one needs it. Add honey to taste. I only used one teaspoon for a sweet-tart flavor. For a sweeter smoothie, add more. If you don’t want to use honey, you can use maple syrup or a pitted date.
How to Make a Cranberry Juice Smoothie:
Combine ingredients: In the pitcher of your blender, combine the banana, frozen strawberries, frozen cranberries, cranberry juice, and honey.
Blend: Blend until thick and creamy. Start on low then increase the speed to high. The smoothie will be very thick. Add a splash more cranberry juice and blend to incorporate. Taste for sweetness.
Serve: Pour into glasses and enjoy immediately.
- Taste for sweetness. Cranberries are extremely tart! I personally love a sweet-tart punch. If you like your smoothies on the sweeter side, add more honey to taste.
- Add the banana first. Always put the fresh fruit closest to the blade. It helps get everything in the blender moving and creates a super smooth texture.
- If possible, use a high-speed blender. A high powered blender does a better job at breaking down the cranberry skins.
- Add more liquid as needed. I blend my smoothies thick, then I add more liquid at the end. This is easier than fixing a runny smoothie, plus I prefer a thick consistency. Add a splash more liquid at the end until you achieve the consistency you prefer.
- Yogurt – For extra creaminess, add 1/4 cup of yogurt.
- Fruit – Swap the strawberries with frozen pineapple or mango for a tropical flair! Both pair well with tart cranberries.
- Chia seeds – Add a tablespoon of chia seeds for healthy fats and plant-based protein.
- Juice – If you don’t have cranberry juice, swap with orange juice or almond milk. Almond milk will taste slightly less tangy.
- Sweetener – You can use maple syrup or a pitted date in place of the honey.
This cranberry juice smoothie is best enjoyed immediately! Smoothies only take 5 minutes to make, so I always recommend making them fresh.
You can store this smoothie in the fridge for 24 hours, but I prefer to freeze it into smoothie pops! Pour any leftover smoothie into a popsicle mold, add popsicle sticks, and freeze overnight.
Smoothie pops taste best when they melt a little!
Health Benefits of Cranberries:
Cranberries are small, brightly hued fruits with a sour punch. These bright red berries are packed with health benefits:
- Antioxidants – High in flavanol polyphenols with anti-inflammatory effects!
- Vitamins & minerals – Cranberries are a good source of vitamin C, manganese, vitamin E, vitamin K1, and copper!
- A-type Proanthocyanidins – Also referred to as condensed tannins, these phytonutrients have been shown to help prevent UTI‘s.
Tart cranberries pair well with sweet and/or tropical fruits like pineapple, mango, bananas, strawberries, and oranges.
Refreshing Smoothie Recipes:
Cranberry Juice Smoothie
- high-speed blender
- 1 banana peeled
- 1½ cup frozen strawberries
- ½ cup frozen cranberries
- ⅔ cup cranberry juice
- 1-2 teaspoons honey
- In the pitcher of a high-speed blender, combine the banana, frozen strawberries, frozen cranberries, cranberry juice, and honey.
- Blend until smooth and creamy. The smoothie will be thick at this point. Add a splash more cranberry juice to reach the desired consistency. Blend to incorporate.
- Pour the smoothies into glasses and enjoy!