A refreshing strawberry banana smoothie to start your day. It’s refined-sugar free with just three ingredients and it tastes delicious!
Why you’ll love it
There’s nothing quite like a classic! This strawberry banana smoothie recipe is super simple and refreshing. As much as I love to add greens, oats, and other goodies to my smoothie recipes, this one begs to go untouched. Strawberries are the star here!
You only need three ingredients: a banana, frozen strawberries, and a navel orange. That’s it! This is one of my favorite smoothies for a hot summer day.
Frozen strawberries – I use frozen strawberries to thicken the smoothie. If you have a big batch of ruby red, fresh strawberries you want to use up, it’s no problem! You can freeze them and use them. Just cut the green tops off and cut them in half, place them on a sheet pan and freeze.
Banana – Always use ripe bananas for smoothies. A ripe banana is a sweet banana. A green, underripe banana will taste bitter and chalky.
Navel orange – Fresh citrus is a great way to make berries pop! The juice of a navel orange enhances the flavor of the strawberries.
Cold water – Always use cold water. Avoid warm or hot water. I use cold filtered water from my fridge. It keeps the smoothie thick and ice cold.
How to Make a Strawberry Banana Smoothie
Strawberry smoothies are super simple (and very forgiving!)
First, combine the banana, frozen strawberries, fresh orange juice, and 1/2 cup of cold water in the base of a high-speed blender.
I intentionally added less liquid so the fruit can blitz up super smooth, then I add a splash more at the end to thin it out.
If the smoothie is thick, add two more tablespoons of water and blend. Pour into smoothie glasses and enjoy! This banana strawberry smoothie recipe makes one large glass or two smaller ones.
Smoothie Making Tips
- If you want to use fresh strawberries, you can use a frozen banana to thicken the smoothie. Reduce the water to 1/4 cup, then add more as necessary.
- Smoothies are very forgiving. If a smoothie is too thick, it just needs a little bit more liquid. If it’s too thin, it just needs more frozen ingredients to thicken it.
- For best results, use a high-speed blender like a Vitamix or a Ninja. If you can’t afford a Vitamix, Ninja has a lot of affordable options.
This strawberry smoothie is best enjoyed fresh! Technically, you can store smoothies in the fridge for a day, but the texture changes.
If I can’t finish my smoothie, I like to pour it into popsicle molds and freeze it for later. Smoothie pops make a nutritious, refreshing treat. My kiddos love them!
- Yogurt: This smoothie tastes delicious with unsweetened Greek yogurt in it. Perfect for a filling boost of protein. Add 1/3 cup before you blend.
- Fruit: Add frozen peaches, blueberries, raspberries, pineapple, or mango! You may need to add more liquid so the smoothie won’t be too thick.
- Oats: If you like texture in your smoothies, oats are a great way to add whole grains. Swap the orange juice with almond milk and add 1/2 cup of rolled oats.
The short answer is: it depends on what you put in them! This smoothie is refined-sugar-free, dairy-free, and made with whole foods. It’s rich in immune boosting vitamin C and disease-fighting antioxidants.
You do not have to put ice in smoothies. You just need a frozen ingredient. Frozen fruit or berries work great, and give you a creamier texture than ice! Ice melts quicker and doesn’t blend up as smooth.
Cold water is an incredibly healthy option because it has no calories, fat, or sugar and it’s essential for our bodies to function. Unsweetened plant milks are a good option too!
More Refreshing Smoothies
- How to Make Smoothies with Water: The Complete Guide
- Pear Banana Protein Smoothie
- Strawberry Passion Fruit Smoothie
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie Bowl
- Strawberry Granola Smoothie
- Mixed Fruit Smoothie
- Panera Strawberry Smoothie Copycat
- McDonald’s Strawberry Banana Smoothie Recipe
Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- high-speed blender
- 1 medium banana, peeled (118 grams)
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 1 navel orange, juiced (about ¼ cup)
- ½ cup cold water
- In the base of a high-speed blender, combine banana, frozen strawberries, fresh orange juice, and ½ cup of cold water. Blend until very smooth.
- Add two more tablespoons of cold water and blend just to thin it out. Pour into glasses and enjoy!