This sweet berry smoothie is a copycat of Smoothie King’s Banana Berry Treat! It’s a good source of protein and antioxidants, plus it makes a satisfying afternoon treat. Taste-tested and kid-approved!
Why You’ll Love it:
This is a copycat of Smoothie King’s Banana Berry Treat! It tastes just like the original, but it’s more cost effective to make at home.
This banana berry treat recipe features vanilla protein, banana, frozen strawberries, frozen raspberries, and passionfruit juice! It tastes like a berry milkshake, but it’s packed with protein and antioxidants from the berries.
Banana – Bananas add natural sweetness and creaminess! Be sure to use a yellow ripe banana. Underripe bananas taste slightly bitter and chalky.
Vanilla protein – I used vanilla protein powder. You can use any brand you prefer and any version – plant-based or regular. Mine was sweetened with Stevia. It’s best to buy a protein blend. 100% whey protein creates a foamy smoothie!
Frozen strawberries – I buy big bags of frozen strawberries at Costco so I never run out. Be sure to use frozen fruit! It creates a thick, shake-like consistency.
Frozen raspberries – For that sweet-tart flavor! Raspberries are a good source of fiber, omega 3 fatty acids, and manganese. They’re rich in immune-boosting vitamin C too!
Passionfruit juice – Smoothie King uses a papaya juice blend, but papaya juice is hard to find so I used passionfruit juice instead. You could use apple juice, pineapple juice, or white grape juice too.
How to Make a Banana Berry Treat Smoothie:
This Smoothie King Banana Berry Treat recipe is a breeze to make! You basically dump and blend, but for those who like a bit more guidance:
Combine ingredients: In the pitcher of your blender, combine the banana, protein powder, frozen strawberries, frozen raspberries, ice, and passionfruit juice.
TIP: Place the softest ingredients closest to the blades. Start with the banana and protein powder, then add the frozen fruit. The liquid can go in any time. It sinks to the bottom anyway.
Blend: Start with the blender on low speed, then increase the speed to high. Blend until smooth and creamy. I prefer my smoothies on the thicker side. If you prefer it thinner, add a splash more juice and blend to incorporate.
Serve: Pour the berry smoothie into glasses and enjoy immediately!
- Use frozen fruit. Frozen fruit is what creates a thick, creamy texture. If you use fresh fruit, you will need to add more ice. Ice works in a pinch, but the texture will be icier.
- Add the soft ingredients first. It’s easier for the blades to catch the soft ingredients and get moving, thus it’s easier on the motor too.
- Adjust the consistency as desired. I prefer smoothies thick, not watery! If the smoothies too thick for you, simply add more liquid, a little bit at a time, until you achieve the right consistency.
- Dairy-free/vegan – Swap the whey protein with a plant-based, vegan alternative. There are plenty of options at well-stocked grocery stores.
- Gluten-free – Make sure the protein powder you use is labeled gluten-free.
- Fruit – Feel free to swap the frozen berries with other frozen fruits. Try frozen pineapple, peaches, cherries, mixed berries, or mango.
- Yogurt – Add a scoop of Greek yogurt for extra protein and creaminess.
Smoothies are best enjoyed immediately! You can store them in the fridge, but after a day or so, the flavor changes.
I recommend storing a smoothie in the fridge up to 4 hours. Pour the berry smoothie into a vacuum insulated cup and refrigerate.
You can turn any smoothie into smoothie popsicles too! Just pour any leftovers into a popsicle mold, add popsicle sticks, and freeze overnight.
Smoothie King Recipes:
- Smoothie King Island Impact Recipe
- What is turbinado at Smoothie King?
- Smoothie King Pineapple Surf Copycat
- Smoothie King Banana Boat Copycat
Banana Berry Treat Smoothie Recipe
- 1 banana peeled
- ¼ cup vanilla protein powder
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- ½ cup frozen raspberries
- ½ cup ice
- ¾ cup passionfruit juice
- In the pitcher of a blender, combine the banana, protein powder, frozen strawberries, frozen raspberries, ice, and passionfruit juice.
- Start with the blender on low speed, then increase the speed. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into glasses and enjoy immediately!