Make Smoothie King’s Island Impact at home! It takes 5 minutes and it’s budget-friendly. This tropical smoothie features pineapple, mango, protein powder, and apple juice.
Why you’ll love it:
My kids love to make special trips to Smoothie King. My 6 year old’s favorite smoothie combo is pineapple mango so we ordered Island Impact. It’s a refreshing combo of pineapple, mango, juice, and protein powder.
Once we arrived home, the first thing I did was make this Island Impact copycat recipe. I like to do side-by-side comparisons to make sure the flavor is on point.
It tastes just like the one from Smoothie King! Although we love to make special trips, we make our daily smoothies at home. You can make your money go much farther!
Apple juice – Adds plenty of sweetness! Smoothie king uses papaya and apple juice, but I couldn’t find papaya juice anywhere. It turned out great with just apple. If you can find papaya, you can swap half of the apple juice with papaya juice.
Protein powder – You can use regular or plant-based. Just use a brand you know you like. All varieties and brands of protein powder taste slightly different. Feel free to use an unsweetened or stevia-sweetened brand for less sugar. If using whey protein, I recommend a blend. 100% whey protein powder makes a foamy smoothie.
Frozen mango – One of my fave smoothie fruits! Mango is sweet with tropical vibes and adds creaminess, similar to a banana. It goes well with ALL fruits.
Frozen pineapple – For that sweet, tangy flavor! Pineapple and mango are meant for each other. Pineapples are rich in antioxidants, including immune-boosting vitamin C.
How to make an Island Impact smoothie:
Smoothies are super simple! This one’s as easy as dump and blend. But for those who like a bit more guidance:
Combine ingredients: In the pitcher of your high-speed blender, combine the protein powder, apple juice, water, frozen pineapple, and frozen mango.
TIP: Add the protein powder first. Doing so ensures it won’t shoot up the sides of the blender.
Blend: Blend until smooth. I always start my blender on low speed, then increase to high.
Serve: Taste it to make sure you like the flavor/consistency. Adjust if necessary. Pour the smoothie into a glass and enjoy immediately!
- Use frozen fruit. Frozen fruit provides the right consistency. If you use fresh fruit, you will end up with a juicy puree.
- Add the protein powder first. So it incorporates well and doesn’t get stuck on the sides of the blender.
- Start on low, then increase the speed. Doing so prevents the blades from stopping or getting stuck as easily.
- Adjust the consistency if desired. I don’t like a watery smoothie, so I create mine to be thick but pourable. If you prefer it thinner, add a splash more water and blend to incorporate.
- Banana – For a creamier consistency, add a banana and omit the water.
- Yogurt – For extra protein and creaminess, add 1/3 cup of Greek yogurt.
- Chia seeds – Chia seeds are a good source of omega 3 fatty acids and plant-based protein. Add a tablespoon.
- Greens – Add a handful of baby spinach for a boost of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- No protein powder – You can omit the protein powder if you prefer or swap it with Greek yogurt.
Smoothies are best enjoyed immediately!
You can store them in the fridge for 24 hours, but I always recommend 4 hours. Pour the smoothie into a vacuum insulated cup and refrigerate.
You can store it in the freezer too, but then you need to let it thaw for at least 30 minutes before it’s drinkable.
I prefer to make any leftover smoothie into popsicles! Pour the leftovers into a popsicle mold, add popsicle sticks, and freeze overnight.
Are Smoothie King smoothies healthy?
It depends on the smoothie. A smoothie is only as healthy as the ingredients it’s made of. Some of their smoothies have no added sugar, while others are loaded with it! Look for a smoothie that has no added sugar from turbinado, ice cream, or frozen yogurt. Also look for a smoothie with whole food, nutrient-dense ingredients like fruits, nuts, greens, and plant-based milk.
Smoothie King Recipes:
- What is turbinado at Smoothie King?
- Smoothie King Pineapple Surf Copycat
- Smoothie King Banana Boat Copycat
- Smoothie King Angel Food Recipe
- Smoothie King The Hulk Copycat
Island Impact Copycat Recipe
- high-speed blender
- 3 tablespoons vanilla protein powder
- ¾ cup apple juice
- ¼ cup cold water
- ¾ cup frozen mango
- ¾ cup frozen pineapple
- In the pitcher of your blender, combine protein powder, apple juice, water, frozen mango, and frozen pineapple.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy immediately.