Satisfy your coconutty cravings with this coconut smoothie bowl! It’s healthy, creamy and sweet, with little bits of shredded coconut. Dairy-free & vegan.
Why you’ll love it:
I live for coconut. Shredded coconut, toasted coconut, coconut chips, it doesn’t matter. I love it all. This coconut smoothie bowl is a coconut lover’s dream!
It’s just the right amount of coconut flavor, with bits of shredded coconut throughout. You can use unsweetened coconut, sweetened, or a mixture of the two.
The base is made from coconut cream and frozen bananas, which gives it the dreamiest, luxurious texture. This coconut bowl recipe is perfect for a healthy snack, breakfast, or treat.
Frozen bananas – Frozen bananas create a thick and creamy base. I keep them in my freezer at all times. I just slice them up, throw them in a zip-top bag, and freeze overnight. One large banana equals about one cup of frozen banana chunks.
Coconut milk – From the carton. The bananas are plenty sweet so I use unsweetened. Any milk or plant-based milk works, but coconut milk gives an extra boost of coconut.
Coconut cream – Not to be confused with cream of coconut. Coconut cream is unsweetened and thicker than coconut milk. It’s a scoopable consistency and adds plenty of coconut flavor.
Shredded coconut – Don’t skip this ingredient! It’s TOO good in the coconut base. It adds a bit of texture too. You can use sweetened or unsweetened, depending on how sweet you like your smoothie bowls.
Coconut extract – A little goes a long way! A quarter teaspoon is all you need.
How to make a coconut smoothie bowl:
This coconut bowl is super simple to make! The main difference between a smoothie and a bowl is the amount of liquid. Smoothie bowls are made with less liquid, creating a thicker texture.
Combine ingredients – In the pitcher of a high-speed blender, combine the frozen bananas, coconut milk, coconut cream, shredded coconut, and coconut extract.
Blend and scrape – Blend for a few seconds, or until the bananas stop moving. Stop the blender and scrape down the sides with a spatula. Push the bananas toward the blade.
Blend again – Until very thick and smooth.
Scoop into a bowl – Use a spoon to scoop the mixture into a large bowl or two small ones. Add your favorite toppings and enjoy immediately!
- Use yellow, ripe bananas! Since bananas are the base of this smoothie bowl, it’s imperative they be sweet and creamy.
- Blend and scrape as many times as you need. I had to stop the blender once to scrape the sides. You may have to do it more than once to get everything moving. Be patient and scrape as needed.
- Keep frozen banana chunks in the freezer. Then you can make a coconut smoothie bowl anytime the mood strikes!
- For best results, use a high-powered blender. I highly recommend a Vitamix or a Ninja. If you need a budget-friendly option, Ninja is a great choice. High-speed blenders have powerful motors that blitz the fruit into a smoother consistency.
My favorite part about a smoothie bowl is the toppings! They can be crunchy, sweet, tart, bitter, or chewy. The contrast of textures and flavors is what sets a smoothie bowl apart from a regular smoothie!
Here’s a few ideas that pair well with coconut:
- Toasted coconut
- Shredded coconut
- Coconut chips
- Cacao nibs
- Mini chocolate chips
- Sliced bananas
- Sliced almonds
Frozen fruit makes a smoothie bowl ultra thick and creamy! It’s crucial you don’t add too much liquid. Add just enough liquid to get the fruit moving in the blender and that’s it.
More Smoothie Bowl Recipes
- Ultra-Creamy Banana Smoothie Bowl
- 31+ Best Smoothie Bowl Toppings
- How to Make an Ultra Thick Smoothie Bowl
- Low Calorie Smoothie Bowl
- Blueberry Smoothie Bowl
Coconut Smoothie Bowl
- high-speed blender
- 2 cups frozen banana chunks
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons coconut cream
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- ¼ teaspoon coconut extract
- In the pitcher of a high-speed blender, combine the frozen banana, coconut milk, coconut cream, shredded coconut, and coconut extract.
- Blend for a few seconds, then stop the blender and scrape down the sides of the blender with a spatula. Blend again until the mixture is very thick and smooth, like the texture of soft serve.
- Scoop the mixture into a bowl and add your favorite toppings! Enjoy immediately.