This kale smoothie for weight loss is naturally sweet, with fiber, protein, and healthy fats! It’s loaded with nutrient-dense kale, antioxidant-packed strawberries, and sweet pineapple.
Why you’ll love it:
This kale smoothie recipe for weight loss features sweet pineapple, banana, strawberries, almond butter, and kale.
The banana, pineapple, and strawberries naturally sweeten it, while the almond butter adds filling, plant-based protein! It’s easy to make and easy to customize.
I will say when making kale smoothies, I recommend a high-speed blender like a Vitamix or a Blendtec.
Kale has firm, hearty leaves that don’t break down as easily as spinach. If you have a regular blender, you will end up with bits of kale all throughout your smoothie. If you don’t have a high-speed blender, just swap the kale with spinach!
Banana – Bananas are a great base for smoothies! They work double duty since they’re both naturally sweet and creamy. Use a yellow, ripe banana for the best results. Green bananas taste slightly bitter and chalky. They’re also a good source of fiber and potassium.
Kale – Kale is a nutrient powerhouse! It’s a good source of antioxidants, vitamins C and K, beta-carotene, and fiber. I recommend baby kale. If you use mature kale, remove the stems since they won’t break down easily in the blender. Spinach is a good swap for kale!
Frozen strawberries – For a nice strawberry flavor. Be sure to use frozen strawberries to thicken the smoothie. You can swap the strawberries with raspberries or mango if you like!
Frozen pineapple – Frozen pineapple tastes great in green smoothies! Pineapples have a sweet-tart flavor that pair well with spinach or kale.
Almond butter – For added protein and a nutty flavor. You can use any nut butter you like.
Almond milk – Unsweetened almond milk is my favorite liquid base for smoothies! You can use any plant-based milk you prefer.
How to Make a Kale Smoothie for Weight Loss:
Kale smoothies are best when made with a high-speed blender like a Vitamix. If you don’t have a high-speed blender, I recommend swapping the kale with spinach. It will blend up better than kale.
Combine ingredients: In the pitcher of your high-speed blender, combine the almond milk, kale, banana, almond butter, frozen strawberries, and frozen pineapple. I like to put the greens in first, because I find the kale leaves blend better this way.
Blend: Blend until thick and creamy. I had to stop the blender once and scrape down the sides of the pitcher, then blend again. The smoothie will be thick at this point. Add a splash more almond milk to thin it out if desired, and blend again to incorporate.
Serve: Pour into a glass and enjoy immediately. All smoothies are best enjoyed fresh, but especially when they contain greens!
Kale Smoothie Tips:
- Use a high-speed blender! Kale leaves are course and hearty, which means they don’t blend as easily as other greens. If you don’t like kale bits in your smoothie, invest in a quality blender like a Vitamix. If you can’t afford one or just don’t want to spend the money, you can swap the kale with baby spinach.
- I highly recommend baby kale. It blends easier than mature kale. If using regular kale, remove the stems before you add the kale. The stems are even harder to break down than the leaves. Don’t forget to remove them!
- Add sweetener if desired. If you like a sweeter smoothie, add a pitted date or a few teaspoons of honey or maple syrup.
- If the color bothers you, swap the strawberries with mango. The strawberries make the color of this smoothie a light brownish pink, which isn’t the best looking.
- Adjust the consistency as desired! I prefer my smoothies on the thicker side, but that’s totally a preference. If you want it thinner, add a splash more almond milk at the end and blend to incorporate.
- Protein – You can swap the nut butter with Greek yogurt if you don’t like the taste of almond butter.
- Greens – If you don’t like the taste or texture of kale, swap it with baby spinach. Spinach has a milder flavor and delicate leaves that blend easier. Spinach is a good option if you’re new to green smoothies.
- Fruit – The fruit in this smoothie is customizable! You can swap the strawberries with mango, raspberries, or peeled apples. If you swap it with apples, you will need to reduce the liquid since apples aren’t frozen.
- Liquid base – You can use any plant-based milk you prefer!
- Sweetener – If you like a sweeter smoothie, add a pitted date, honey, maple syrup, or light agave.
I don’t recommend storing green smoothies! They taste the best when fresh and cold. And since they only take 5 minutes to make, you’re not saving much time making it ahead anyhow.
Since kale is low in calories but high in nutrients, it’s a great food for weight loss! It’s full of heart-healthy antioxidants, fiber, micronutrients, and vitamins to give you energy. One cup of kale contains just 7 calories and 68% of the daily value of vitamin K!
Yes, drinking a green smoothie everyday is a great way to increase your nutrient intake! Just avoid unhealthy ingredients like added or refined sugars from fruit juice concentrate, lemonade, ice cream, or fruit syrups. Try to include protein, fiber, healthy fats, and vitamins from plant-based ingredients.
Kale is not a cure-all for weight loss. It’s a great addition to a healthy diet, regular exercise, and decreased calorie consumption to aid in weight loss.
More Green Smoothie Recipes:
- Cilantro Smoothie
- Tropical Spinach Cucumber Smoothie
- 15 Smoothies to Lose Belly Fat Fast
- Green Passion Smoothie – Panera Copycat
Kale Weight Loss Smoothie
- high-speed blender
- 1 banana peeled
- 1 cup baby kale loosely packed
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 cup frozen pineapple
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- In the pitcher of a high-speed blender, combine the almond milk, kale leaves, banana, almond butter, frozen strawberries, and frozen pineapple – in that order.
- Blend until thick and creamy. Stop the blender and scrape down the sides of the blender as necessary. If the smoothie is too thick, add a splash more almond milk and blend to incorporate.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!