Enjoy your favorite blended beverage on-the-go with one of these portable smoothie cups! I’ve done the hard work for you, so all you have to do is choose your favorite.
Smoothie Cups for Everyone:
Let’s face it. Everyone’s idea of the perfect smoothie cup is different and the options are endless! From stainless steel and glass, to silicone and reusable plastic, there’s something for everyone and all budget types.
I’ve broken down the list into three main categories:
- Portable – Portable cups should be spill proof, durable, and fit nicely in your cup holder. Nothing kills a good morning like a smoothie leaking all over your leather seats.
- At home – Is it just me or do smoothies taste better in a sleek glass? This category focuses more on looks and less on function. Ideal for a quiet morning by yourself.
- For kids – The perfect amount in a spill proof cup that won’t break when dropped. No smoothie goes to waste and no messes to clean up. It’s every parent’s dream.
I discuss the pros and cons of each cup and why they made the list. All you have to do is choose your favorite!
Portable Smoothie Cups:
All of these smoothie cups are ideal for busy, on-the-go mornings! They fit in a cup holder, don’t spill easy, and keep things super chill (pun intended).
- Comes in 20+ colors! Plus they’re stackable if you have multiple. And the color doesn’t chip or fade like more budget-friendly options.
- BPA free, dishwasher safe, and no sweat. Dry hands are always a plus!
- Double wall vacuum insulation. Translation: it keeps your smoothies ice cold!
- Durable. There’s a reason Yeti cups are well-loved for their durability. I’ve dropped mine multiple times and it’s still in great shape.
- Heavy – Yeti cups are NOT lightweight. They’re robust and feel heavy. If this is a deal breaker for you, move on down the list.
- Price point – While Yeti delivers in quality, it doesn’t come cheap. At the time of writing, it weighs in at 35 bucks.
- Vacuum insulated stainless steel. Keeps your drink cold for up to 18 hours, although from my experience it’s more like 12.
- Stable with a rubber base. Grips whatever it’s sitting on well.
- Price point is affordable. A two pack on Amazon is around 33 bucks at the time of writing this article. That’s roughly half the price of a Yeti.
- Not too heavy. I wouldn’t call it lightweight, but it is lighter than the Yeti. I love the way it feels when I carry it.
- Body isn’t dishwasher safe. You have to hand wash the base! Technically the lid and straw are dishwasher safe, but the heat is hard on the lid seal. Ideally, it’s best to hand wash all of it.
- Bubba lettering chips. Not a dealbreaker for me, but worth mentioning.
- Slow leakage but NOT spill proof. There isn’t a slider to close the hole where the straw goes in. If the straw is in and it tips over, it leaks slowly.
- Multiple size options. Comes in 14, 20, 30, 40, and 64 ounce versions. All of them fit in standard cup holders, except for the 64 ounce.
- Includes a comfy handle and a big straw! If you like a big straw for optimum smoothie drinking, this fits the bill.
- Dishwasher-safe and easy to clean. A huge bonus since smoothies leave residue even after it’s rinsed.
- Lifetime warranty. Stanley stands behind their products. If you purchase one from a Stanley reseller, a lifetime warranty is included.
- Aesthetically pleasing. This cup looks sleek and trendy. If you want a cup that works AND looks great, this is a solid choice.
- Be careful with it. It will scratch and dent if handled harshly or dropped repetitively.
- Price point. While the quality is there, this is not a budget-friendly cup. It costs 35 dollars at the time of writing.
- Sleek design and colors. I love the look! It has a modern, slender, and simple design that comes in a ton of colors. I bought it in apricot.
- Mostly leak proof. As in, it only leaks from the straw itself, not the hole it goes into. I have to turn it upside down for it to leak.
- Lightweight. It’s not heavy or bulky like Yeti tumblers. I carry it in one hand for long walks with no problems.
- Keeps drinks frosty cold. It’s double wall insulated, so my smoothie doesn’t melt immediately!
- Hand wash only. Dishwasher isn’t recommended. Not a dealbreaker for me, but could be for some.
- Colors aren’t true to picture. While I like my apricot colored tumbler, it doesn’t look like the picture. And other reviewers mentioned the same problem.
- Sweats on the outside. The cup does sweat and it’s a bit slippery when wet.
5. Beast 30 oz Tumbler
- Wide straw and splash-proof lid. This means liquid won’t splash out of the cup when it’s jostled or moves around. And the wide straw leaves ample room for a thick smoothie texture.
- Ice cold all day long. If you like a cold smoothie, the beast delivers!
- Sweat-free design and no fading. The outside won’t condensate and the color doesn’t fade over time.
- Lifetime guarantee. 100% satisfaction guaranteed. It’s always nice when a brand stands behind it’s product.
- Dish-washer safe. No need to hand wash this one!
- Spills if turned over. It’s splash proof, not leak proof. Don’t throw it in your gym bag and be on your merry way. Or you will end up with a mess.
At Home Smoothie Cups:
- Beautiful design. These cups double as decor in my kitchen. They look great on open shelves.
- Base and straw is dishwasher-safe. None of mine have broken in the dishwasher and I use them daily.
- Large straws for easy sipping. I make my smoothies very thick and I have no problem getting it through these straws.
- They hold 16 ounces which is perfect for a mid-sized smoothie. It’s just the right amount for me.
- Breakable. They’re glass so naturally they break easy. Don’t drop them or they shatter.
- Hand wash the lids. The lids are bamboo which means they discolor if you put them in the dishwasher.
7. Mason Jars
- Holds 16 ounces! This is the perfect size for a mid-morning smoothie fix.
- Multi-purpose. They’re great for more than just smoothie vessels! Use one as a storage container or vase.
- Double as kitchen decor or drinking glasses. They’re a classic for a reason!
- Affordable. You can buy them at Target, Walmart, or Amazon.
- Breakable but sturdy. The glass is thick so it won’t break as easily as some glass cups, but it’s still breakable!
- Fancy design and lava lamp shape! These glasses are beautiful. A smoothie tastes so satisfying out of a lovely glass.
- Dishwasher-safe. No need to handwash. Just place them carefully into your dishwasher.
- 18 ounce capacity. Personally, I love the size. It’s big enough for a mid-size smoothie, which is what I make the most.
- Fragile! The sides are thin and fragile. These cups break easy. It’s worth the risk for me.
Kid-Friendly Smoothie Cups:
- Spill-proof for the most part. Haven’t had any issues with spills so far. They won’t leak from the straw hole, just the straw itself.
- Double wall insulated. Keeps your drinks and smoothies cold for a while!
- Fun color and pattern options. There’s plenty of choices for all kiddos.
- Perfect size for kids. My kids won’t drink a huge smoothie so 12 ounces is ideal for us.
- Straw is hard to clean. Be sure to buy a straw cleaner to get out leftover smoothie residue.
- Straws are on the skinny side. Fat straws are nice for smoothies, but these work good too!
- Adorable and colorful! These glass tumblers come in bright and pastel colors. And they’re the perfect size for little hands!
- Wide straws perfect for smoothies and thicker shakes.
- Surprisingly robust thanks to the silicone sleeves. My kids have dropped them without breakage.
- Not spill-proof. The straw stopper minimizes spills, but they still happen! Overall, a great cup though.
- Breakable. Even though the cups are sturdy and less likely to break, they’re still glass. And glass is breakable.
- Dishwasher safe and easy to clean. No need to worry about breaking them!
- Cheap enough to not worry if one gets lost. I buy these at my local Publix, but you can find them on Amazon or at Walmart too.
- Ideal for smoothies for lots of kiddos. I buy two packs so I have eight cups. When I host friends with littles, I have plenty of smoothie cups to go around.
- Doesn’t leak for the most part. The smoothie will leak through the straw if turned over, but it won’t come out the sides or straw hole.
- Young kids can remove the lids. My rambunctious 2 year old likes to remove the lids and swim in his smoothies. I prefer these for kids ages 4 and up!
Tips for on-the-go Smoothies:
- Make smoothie bags! Pre-portion the frozen fruit in a Ziplock bag so all you have to do is dump, blend, and pour.
- Buy more than one smoothie cup. That way you can rotate through them. If one is dirty, the other one should be clean!
- Take and toss cups are great for visitors. We have a large family with lots of young kiddos. When my best friends comes to stay, I like to make all the kids smoothies. Take and toss cups are cheap, easy to clean, and good for multiple kids.
Things to Consider:
- Material – Consider what material fits your needs best. Stainless steel keeps drinks cold for a long period of time, but it’s bulkier than glass. Glass is lightweight and offers a pure taste that’s free of contaminants. Plastic is budget-friendly and easy to clean.
- Lid – Look for a lid that’s, at the very least, splash-proof. Spill-proof is ideal. This is why I love Simple Modern’s straw tumbler. It won’t leak when it’s turned on its side.
- Portability – Do you drink smoothies at home or in the car and at the pool? If you’re at home by yourself, a sleek glass cup fits nicely. If you’re busy and on the run, something portable, durable, and robust is a better fit.
- Budget – If expense is a factor, look for a cup that fits your needs, then filter the results by price. Whenever I purchase a new smoothie cup, I read reviews and look for ones that get 80% or above five star reviews.
Smoothie Cup FAQs:
The best way to transport a smoothie is to pour it into an insulated tumbler or thermos. These cups are meant to keep beverages cold for extended periods of time.
Absolutely! Yeti brand tumblers are a great choice for smoothies. They keep it very cold and the wide straw is ideal for sipping thick smoothies.