This mango apple smoothie is refreshingly sweet, healthy, and ideal for weight loss. It’s full of disease-fighting antioxidants, fiber, and essential vitamins. Perfect for a healthy snack or breakfast.
Why you’ll love it:
Smoothies aren’t a cure-all for losing weight, but they’re a great way to pack in nutrient-dense ingredients that promote weight loss!
This apple smoothie for weight loss is refreshing with nectarous mango, creamy banana, and antioxidant-rich apples. A handful of baby spinach adds a boost of folic acid and iron.
It’s a delicious and feel-good way to slim down for summer. Enjoy this low-calorie apple smoothie for breakfast or an afternoon snack.
Honeycrisp apple – I always keep apples in the fridge. They make great snacks for the kids, plus they’re full of fiber, vitamin C, and polyphenols.
Polyphenols are a type of plant compound shown to boost digestion, brain health, and protect against certain cancers. I peeled my apple because I prefer the smoother texture, but you can keep the peel on if you prefer.
I always use sweet-tart apples like Honeycrisp or Pink Ladies because I prefer the sweet-tart flavor. You can use whatever apple you love the best!
Banana – For a creamy texture! Use yellow, ripe bananas for the best results. Green, underripe bananas taste slightly bitter and chalky. Bananas are full of fiber and low in calories, which makes them good for weight loss.
Spinach – Leafy greens are packed with fiber and antioxidants! I prefer baby spinach because it has a mild flavor and tender leaves that blend easily. You can barely taste the spinach in this smoothie. A high-speed blender will give you the smoothest consistency with greens!
Frozen mango – One cup of mango boasts almost 67 percent of the daily value of vitamin C! Vitamin C protects your healthy cells from damage caused by free radicals. It also helps your body consume iron and encourages cell growth and repair! Be sure to use frozen mango to thicken the smoothie.
Orange juice – You don’t need much. Apples are 86 percent water so they act as a liquid base for the smoothie.
How to Make this Apple Smoothie for Weight Loss:
This apple smoothie recipe is easy to make and customize!
Combine ingredients: In the pitcher of your high-speed blender, combine the orange juice, spinach, apples, banana, and frozen mango.
It’s important to add the orange juice, spinach, and apples first. The apples act as a liquid and help get all the ingredients moving! Adding the spinach first helps give you a smoother blend.
Blend: Blend until creamy and smooth! Adjust the consistency as desired. If the smoothie’s too thick, add a splash more orange juice and blend to incorporate.
Serve: Pour into two small glasses or one regular glass and enjoy immediately!
Variations & Add-ins:
- Fruit – Swap the apple with frozen strawberries, peaches, or pineapple. You will need to increase the liquid to compensate for the extra frozen fruit.
- Protein – Add 1/3 cup of unsweetened Greek yogurt or a scoop of protein powder for extra protein.
- Healthy fats – Add one tablespoon of chia seeds or a scoop of almond butter for a dose of healthy fats.
- Whole grains – Add 1/4 cup of rolled oats for added texture and whole grains.
- Sweetener – I think this smoothie is plenty sweet from the mango, but if you like a sweeter smoothie, add a teaspoon or two of honey or maple syrup.
Apple Smoothie Tips:
- For best results, use a high-powered blender. You will get a much smoother blend! Greens, like spinach and kale, won’t blend up as finely in a regular blender.
- Add the juice, spinach, and apples to the blender first. Apples are 86 percent water and act like a liquid base. They help get the ingredients moving!
- Adjust the consistency if needed. I prefer my smoothies on the thicker side so that’s how I make them. After you blend the smoothie, check to see if it’s how you like it. If you want it thinner, add a splash more juice.
Green smoothies are best enjoyed fresh and cold! I don’t recommend storing this apple weight loss smoothie in the fridge.
If you do have leftovers, you can make it into green smoothie pops! Pour the smoothie into a popsicle mold, add popsicle sticks, and freeze overnight. Smoothie pops are refreshing on hot summer days!
The best ingredients to add to smoothies for weight loss are nutrient-dense whole foods that are filling. Leafy greens add tons of vitamins and antioxidants without many calories. Berries, apples, banana, cucumbers, kale, seeds, pineapple, mango, and nuts are all great options.
More Weight Loss Smoothie Recipes:
Mango Apple Smoothie
- high-speed blender
- 1 banana peeled
- 1 cup diced Honeycrisp apple peeled and cored
- 1 cup loosely packed spinach
- 1½ cup frozen mango chunks
- ¼ cup orange juice
- In the pitcher of a high-speed blender, combine the orange juice, spinach, apple, banana, and frozen mango, in that order.
- Blend until creamy and smooth! If the smoothie's too thick, add a splash more orange juice and blend again.
- Pour into a smoothie glass and enjoy!