Strawberry Cottage Cheese Smoothie
This strawberry cottage cheese smoothie is ultra creamy and full of protein! It makes a filling breakfast or snack and you’d never know it has cottage cheese in it.
Cottage Cheese in Smoothies
Cottage cheese tastes great in smoothies! It acts like Greek yogurt does, except without the tang. It doesn’t add clumps or texture. It just makes a smoothie ultra-creamy which is always a plus!
I find cottage cheese works in any smoothie where Greek yogurt is an ingredient. It makes a great swap! You can put it in chocolate, fruit, or peanut butter smoothies.
It adds a boost of filling protein and calcium! I prefer to use plain cottage cheese to avoid added sugar, but you can use fruit flavored cottage cheese too. Just make sure whichever flavor you use works with the flavors in your smoothie.
Why you’ll love it
This strawberry cottage cheese smoothie has the texture of a milkshake! It’s super creamy and rich from the cottage cheese, but it’s full of healthy ingredients with no added sugar.
I like to enjoy it for breakfast alongside a waffle or eggs! It keeps me full until lunch, which is truly a feat for me.
You’ve got to try cottage cheese in smoothies! It’s a game changer. If you don’t have cottage cheese, you can swap it with yogurt instead.
Banana – Bananas are naturally sweet and creamy, which makes them a great base for any smoothie! Make sure to use a ripe, yellow banana. Green, underripe bananas taste chalky and bitter. I keep bananas on the counter and in the freezer at all times.
Frozen strawberries – This is a strawberry smoothie after all! Be sure to use frozen strawberries so the smoothie thickens and get’s cold. I like to buy a big bag at Costco so I never run out.
Cottage cheese – I used Daisy’s plain low-fat cottage cheese. You can use any brand, but I will say some brands are better than others. Not all of them are as creamy! If you want you can use strawberry flavored cottage cheese for additional sweetness.
Milk – I used unsweetened almond milk, but any dairy or plant-based milk works great. Use one you know you like the flavor of. Oat and coconut milk both have a stronger flavor, while almond and cashew milk taste more neutral.
How to Make a Cottage Cheese Smoothie:
This cottage cheese smoothie recipe is super simple!
Combine ingredients: In the pitcher of a high-speed blender, combine the banana, frozen strawberries, milk, and cottage cheese.
Blend: Blend until thick, creamy, and smooth.
Adjust and serve: I like my smoothies on the thicker side. If it’s too thick for you, add a splash more milk and blend again. Pour into glasses and enjoy!
- If possible, use a high-speed blender. A high-speed blender is just a regular blender with a powerful motor and super sharp blades. A Vitamix is always a good option, but if you can’t afford one, their are more affordable options available. I also love my Ninja!
- Adjust thickness as desired. I prefer my smoothies to be thick! If you like them thinner, the easy solution is adding a bit more milk at the end. Remember, you can always add more, but you can’t take it out!
- For extra sweetness, add a teaspoon or two of honey or maple syrup. I don’t like overly sweet smoothies. If the smoothie isn’t sweet enough for your tastebuds, add a little bit of sweetener until it is.
You can make any flavor smoothie with cottage cheese!
- Fruit – Swap the strawberries with mixed berries or a combination of frozen fruits. Try pineapple, mango, raspberries, or peaches.
- Cottage cheese – You can use plain or sweetened cottage cheese. You can find it sweetened with strawberry, peaches, pineapple, or blueberries.
- Yogurt – If you don’t have cottage cheese, swap it with the same amount of Greek yogurt.
- Sweetener – For a sweeter smoothie, add maple syrup, honey, or light agave.
- Dairy-free – Use plant-based milk and swap the cottage cheese with dairy-free yogurt.
This strawberry cottage cheese smoothie is best enjoyed fresh! It only takes 5 minutes to prepare and it loses its frosty texture in the fridge.
I don’t recommend storing it.
Yes, you can substitute cottage cheese for yogurt in smoothies. Swap equal amounts cottage cheese for yogurt. It should give you the same creamy texture and delicious flavor!
Yes, one cup of cottage cheese provides 25 grams of high-quality protein! It also gives the protein shake a super creamy texture.
Cottage cheese is a versatile ingredient! Since it’s neutral in flavor and creamy, it goes with any fruit you throw at it. Try pineapple, blueberries, strawberries, peaches, raspberries, blackberries, or sweet cherries!
More Smoothie Recipes:
Strawberry Cottage Cheese Smoothie
- high-speed blender
- 1 banana peeled
- ⅓ cup cottage cheese
- ⅔ cup milk of choice
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- In the pitcher of a high-speed blender, combine the banana, milk, cottage cheese, and frozen strawberries.
- Blend until thick, creamy, and smooth. Adjust the consistency as desired. I prefer my smoothies on the thicker side, but you can always thin it out with a splash more milk.
- Pour into glasses and serve!